Your National Executive Committee has adopted the following policy:
“Employers across the transport and maritime sectors are introducing Furlough Arrangements to make use of the scheme from government to pay workers. The union is receiving proposals for such arrangements from employers with whom we have collective bargaining agreements, or where an employer seeks to engage RMT in consultation or negotiation. The NEC has determined that the following guidance shall be issued to ensure we provide the maximum and best possible protection for our members
In all circumstances Furlough Arrangements shall be placed before the NEC prior, wherever possible, before going ahead for consideration to ensure that consistency and best practice is maintained.
Should it be unavoidable for an officer or representatives to allow a furlough to go ahead before the NEC has discussed it, this matter must be put before the NEC at the first opportunity.
The rules and constitution of our union continue to govern these matters. When discussing Furlough Arrangements RMT officials shall seek to ensure:-
1. Wages are paid at 100% meaning the employer tops up the government paid 80%
2. Employers top up wages above £2500pm (the government schemes cap) so that employees continue to receive their full wages)
3. No impact on pensions or leave
4. No changes to terms and conditions
5. That the Furlough Arrangement are time limited and shall not be extended beyond the period of the Covid-19 health crisis.
6. The union shall, if the circumstances dictate, utilise pro-formas to provide added protection and guidance for members.”