What a representative should be doing
ALL Representatives will:
- EQUALITY IS ALL REPS FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT PRIORITY
- All reps should be trained and use that training to support their role and their members
- All reps are expected to take part in Branch recruitment and retention programs.
- Use the Labour Research Books if made available to you
- Remain accountable to your members
- Have regular Branch Correspondence/ Communication with the Branch.
- Local Reps MUST forward their work details (such as staff lists, depot and office locations) to the Membership Secretary for recruitment and retention reasons on a minimum of quarterly or in the event of major changes basis. This is vital to overview our recruitment.
- Help produce local newsletter/ update for their members and branch
Level 2 Reps will:
- Give a report to the Branch on a three monthly basis on their activities.
- It is stressed that the Branch Report back is an essential part of Level 2
- Feedback Minutes and information for the local level reps
- Support and assist Local Level Reps
- Engage with their employer to make sure a fair recruitment process takes place and actively supports recruitment of under-represented groups in the workplace.
- All reps are expected to attend the Branch at least once a quarter and apologies given to the Branch Secretary if they unable to be present at a meeting. Apologies will only be included in the minutes by the branch if acceptable reasons are given.
- Reps without the minimum attendance levels will not be allowed to stand for re-election at the AGM and will have to report to the branch.
- Any rep not present at the Branch for six months will be contacted to explore reasons for non-attendance. The Branch will offer to assist in any way practicable so that reps have every opportunity to attend.
- Failure to further attend future meetings will result in the Branch deciding whether to remove the individual as a representative
- There is a difference between being unable to attend and ‘cannot be bothered’.
- The branch is prepared to look at all means, including technological to assist